Tuesday, September 4, 2018

The 30 day Writing Challenge-what you ate today



I don't really eat at home, you know, like breakfast since I sleep most of the morning. But there is still a little coffee by the time I get up, settle it down with a little milk and that tides me over, with of course a cigarette out on the back porch.

It was damp today, but not damp enough to keep a squirrel in its nest, so we had words. Naturally, not very nice words.

I know what you're thinking, it must take me a good long while to get up. I can't drink my coffee too fast. Its a good thing I don't have to be at work by eight, I might never make it.

It must have been late afternoon before I met Derry at the old diner. It is probably not the most healthiest place on earth. We ate cheeseburgers, fries and of course, limeade. We hung out for almost an hour, before I headed to the grocery store to start my duty with the grocery carts out in the parking lot. It was raining by then and I only had a couple of carts to chase down.

Took a smoke break with Carla, who talked a lot about her kids and her ex. I saw Sara in passing. I think she's got a boyfriend or something. I don't know. She's young, maybe still in high school. I've decided to stay away from her, even if I did have some coffee and leftover apple pie at the deli in the dining part of the grocery store.

She didn't really say much. Maybe she doesn't like me after all. I dunno why I would make her nervous. I mean, after all, she was the one who asked if I wanted to take a break with her. So I didn't say a whole lot.

The apple pie was warm. Just what I needed on a wet day like today. Kind of like her. Honestly, I didn't think she could be the type to make me smile, but she did. It was a sweet thought in my head, but I can't imagine it going anywhere. I bet she goes to college, sooner or later.

So I worked til midnight, came home and had a bowl of LIFE cereal. I watched a little TV, but it wasn't nearly as good as the thoughts of Sara streaming through my head.

No comments: