Saturday, May 13, 2023

Music festival diaries



Name: Zoe Henderson Nicknames: Zee, Z-girl Age: 20 Relationship Status: Single Sexual Orientation: bi Pronouns: she/her/they/them Hometown: San Marcus, Texas Faceclaim: Sadie Sink Stage Name: Zoe What kind of music do you perform?: Indie mostly, but I have played country How long have you been performing?: 6 years Bio: I started singing in church when I was practically a baby. My mom played piano so she started me, but mostly it's by ear. Later, I learned from a friend to play guitar. I'm from a college party town that's just a short distance from Austin. I was mostly raised on a ranch but was never fond of the honky tonk stuff my gramps would play. His brother on the other hand was a total ROCK kind of guy who liked KISS and Quiet Riot so I have listened to a good bit of rock more than country. While I was in high school, I got on at a radio station and it was more like fooling around than anything else. I met some musicians that way, but nobody really famous. Well, that guy PLAY RADIO PLAY I met once in the parking lot after the show and he played acoustic instead of electronic. I just want to take a break from school. I hope I can interview some really great music artists this summer and maybe even get to jam with some of them.

***************************************************




"Are you ready for this?" Of course, Kye would ask. He'd just gotten here from Corpus where he lived most of the year around, but something got to him this year when he turned twenty-two. He called to tell me wasn't a kid anymore. Anyway, he said if I needed a lift, a place to stay, a bodyguard, and a promoter he was there for me.

Secretly, I'm pretty sure my mom talked him into it since she knew he always wanted me to marry him when he was six and I was four.

"As ready as I'll ever be," I smirked back. After all, we did our share of traveling together over the summers. He's more like a brother than anything. So my mom and dad both feel a little less burdened by me.

Let's just hope that old van of his makes it to Austin. Sure, it will be cramped quarters, but the bed is pretty sweet. Mostly, I've slept on it on the beach, and he's not too wild. OK, he occasionally talks in his sleep. But he watches way too many crime stories when he's not managing his mom's seafood cafe.

"Just one thing," I remembered as I was loading my gear which wasn't much. After all, he did have all the music equipment packed away.

"What?" He gave me the eye as if he already knew.

"Did you quit yet?" I knew he hadn't.

"I'm trying." He pulled up his tank and showed me the patches.

"You don't need that many to quit." I looked at him blankly thinking the fool must have been nicotine happy.

"Look, Z, I'm stressed. OK." Kye was in a pout as he crossed his arms.

"OK." I shrugged back and gave myself a good stretch. I was certain it wasn't going to be easy, but we both knew why we wanted to do this.

He got in the driver's side and got in the passenger side. After all, I had given Mom and Dad a hug and kiss or two (We had done this at least three times before I even got in the van along with a few extra homemade goodies.) I was determined to get out of there.

"You know, it's more than the music, don't you?" I looked over at him. Naturally, he was Mr. Stoic wishing for a cigarette but smacking on some nicotine gum.

"Those damn interviews," Kye shook his head. "Are you gonna write a book?"

"You don't know me at all," I fretted. "I got my podcasts, you know."

He nodded.

As I looked out the window watching the dirt fields in the distance, I knew I still needed him. I had no idea how to really set up a baseline. I looked back at Kye and smiled. Really, I was glad he liked my music.


No comments: