Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Living Together

Living Together #3




(It hasn't even been 24 hours yet, but Caleb is pressed with a solution as he hugs himself, staring down Jade in the kitchen.)

Caleb: This house isn't big enough for the both of us.

Jade: But its your grandmother's house. She said we would live here.

Caleb rolls his eyes at that. After all, he just met Jade.

Jade: It was arranged.

Caleb: So. (He stares her down, even if she does pour steaming water into the coffee dripper and turns on the electric frother, as if she might be professional with her coffee cafe skills).

Jade: You said, you would do it. (She is serious about their marriage)

Caleb: I said that when I was ten. (his face tenses) I stopped believing in fairytales. AND I like living alone. I don't even like people. (he sighs, as if he's had enough of this already)

Jade: I can't go back. (She's traveled all the way from Alaska. Flashback of the cold and snow and Eskimo life on the outback of a bitter white landscape.... Jade hands Caleb the frothy coffee with a smile. Its as if she's here to serve him.)

(Caleb takes a sip, he slightly smiles as if he might give his bride to be a chance).

No comments: