Thursday, September 6, 2018

The 30 day Writing Challenge-Your day



I spent a good portion of the day with Derry. We'd played DOOM the night before. Yeah, I know, so many new games... why DOOM? It was the first game we played together. Yeah, we've known each other that long and he'd had some issues with his mom, spending so much time on that new game that's like a virus or some kind. Actually, I'm a little afraid to play it. Also, I might be a little afraid of Derry too.

This dude is full of conspiracies. Like last night he got to talking about that girl who was murdered when she went on a jog in her rural Iowa town. He seems to think its the FBI's doing. Maybe, even the president had something to do with it.

"Look, the dude blacked out. Maybe he was framed. Maybe it was all political." Derry sounded really happy about this, but I had to remind him, someone died.

"But, but the dude has a kid, a little daughter," Derry shot right back.

So yeah, I had listened all night, how the FBI was watching the guy and they framed him.

"It could happen to you." Derry pointed his finger at me.

Actually, he made me feel a little faint, but I got up in the morning and made Derry pancakes. He didn't talk about his conspiracies then. Still, I gotta tell you, it left me a lot to think about, long after he left. What if he's right?

So yeah, I did some recycling to help my mom after Derry left. I felt a little restless, and when I saw Sara out, walking in our neighborhood, I decided to walk with her.

"You, sure you should be walking alone?" I asked, thinking she didn't live around here, did she?

"My car has a flat and I thought if I got closer to work, I'd just hang out at the strip mall til my shift started." With a shrug, I asked her in and mom made a whole lot more of a stir-fry than I thought she would.

Sara didn't have breakfast anyway. Mom was all smiles. Especially, to see a skinny girl eat. Then dad arrived from God knows where and decided we'd all go take a look at Sara's flat tire.

It was a long day. My dad can fix tires. He made me check the oil. We got her car tended too.

"Jesus, Dad, you'd think we were getting married or something." I winced when I had a chance to talk to him about Sara. I really hadn't wanted to impress her, but she was so pleased and Dad said she might as well stay at our place until she went to work, to see if the tire was OK and I could ride with her to work.

This was the last thing I expected, but my mom and dad were smitten with her. It was as if they might like me after all if I'm with Sara.

No comments: