Friday, September 7, 2018

The 30 day Writing Challenge-Your best friend



I've known Derry for at least over a decade now. He's a neighbor who lives with his Mom. I don't think I ever met his dad. I'm a few years older than him, but sometimes, I feel like he's the one who's getting old, instead of me. But we are still in our youth, so to speak. Although, I feel certain one day we will both wake up and think, "Where did it go?"

I like him enough, but he talks a lot. Usually, about some girl I've never met nor ever seen him with. I'm beginning to think Derry is just Derry and let him ramble all he wants.

He can't keep a job. He might be a little mental, but I don't think he'd ever do anything insane. I hope not.

I'm not sure I even want to bring up Sara, cause he'll question me. Like, "Sara with an H or without an H?' Some of his questions make my head hurt. What if he's just a figment of my imagination after all?

I think I know Derry. I know he'll eat a burger for breakfast with a beer. He might be an alcoholic, but that might be the tip of the iceberg. I truly wish he wasn't my best friend. But we've known each other since school. I wouldn't want to let him down.

Still, what if I find out one day he hung himself in the garage? I don't think he would do it, but he might.

He can be so high, full of laughter over nothing. Then there are days he's so dark and gloomy. I don't know if I can handle it.

If there were something between Sara and me, I just don't know if I can have Derry in my life. I know, I shouldn't blame it on Derry, but sometimes, he brings me down to the point of going nowhere.

I dunno if we can be best friends forever.

No comments: