Saturday, September 8, 2018

The 30 day Writing Challenge-A moment



When I got the call from this guy that Derry works with, I thought a part of me was falling to pieces. And to imagine, I wasn't going to pick up, because I didn't know that phone number even if it was our area code.

My heart began to ache in anguish when he told me Derry hung himself.

"What?" I found my voice saying, but I wasn't sure I was really listening. I thought I might be in a stupor of some kind. Was Derry playing a bad prank, but I felt weak, yet angry in the same moment. Derry was found dead in his work shop.

He wanted to know if I knew anything that was upsetting him.

"Upsetting him?" I winced harder, hoping the bitter tears wouldn't surface. I felt so empty. Even if I screamed, would he hear me? I licked my dry lips and walked into the rain with my cell, just to walk back to the family kitchen to look for a cold beer.

I didn't know what else to do.

His co-worker said Derry had his hours cut back, and they'd lost contact. He then mentioned there had been no note.

I didn't really think about it, but now, it really bothers me. Derry didn't leave a note.

No comments: