Sunday, September 2, 2018

The 30 day Writing Challenge - your first love



Um, it was unexpected. Seriously, at the time I didn't know Becca was my first love. After all, we were in elementary school. Just first grade. And I kissed her behind the old gym. It was quite passionate. Or so I thought.

Of course, I told her not to tell anyone. OK, so that might not have been our first kiss. Our parents were friends, and back in the day when we lived in the back of the store, which was just one big room, with the kitchen in the corner and only a little room with a toilet and shower. We had kissed on the cot behind the couch.

Our parents were at the kitchen table playing cards and they didn't think about us playing behind the couch. I can't remember what enlighten me most, being with her or the possibility of doing such a thing under or parents' nose.

We were soulmates then. But it didn't last til Valentine's day. She told my mom I was queer. She never was good at vocabulary. It makes me laugh when I think on it now. How my mother made her apologize. It kind of ended things with her family.

I asked her once later, why she'd used that word. She said it was a unique word. I told her it wasn't unique enough for me. Of course, I was in third grade and already smoking cigarettes by the time we had that conversation.

She travels now, mostly on her own. But I hear she's found water for some in third world countries.

No comments: